Find out which movies are worth your time with a mix of reviews of new box office releases, new DVD releases, not-so-new releases and classic cinema too. Basically as I watch them, I review them. So let's relax, grab some popcorn and have fun at the movies!

July 26, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger

Directed By: Joe Johnston
Written By: Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely
Starring: Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, Hayley Atwell, Tommy Lee Jones & Stanley Tucci
Rated: PG-13


MY RATING: C

This movie follows Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) who starts off as a thin, frail man with ambitions to join the military and fight for his country during World War II.  Steve Rogers is turned down over and over because of his size and health limitations until he meets Dr. Abraham Erskine (Stanley Tucci) who sees past his physical appearance and puts faith in his character.  Dr. Erskine uses Rogers for a top secret research experiment that turns him into a Super Soldier.  With his newfound abilities Captain America must save the world from Red Skull (Hugo Weaving) and his followers.

Now for me I'm sorry but this film was just okay.  I believe it did the comic book justice for fans of Captain America (so I'm told) but for a novice looking for great action, a sexy hero and impressive special effects, I was disappointed.
I will say that I'm not a fan of war movies and being that this movie takes place during World War II and is a large focus, that could have something to do with it.
But aside from that I wasn't that impressed with Captain America's abilities.  I kept waiting for his shield to do more or for him to have some sort of fancy impressive vehicle but that didn't happen.  Also surprisingly Chris Evans didn't have that sex appeal that I usually look for in a super hero.  I don't know what was missing but it wasn't there for me.  He's no Thor (Chris Hemsworth) or Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.).
I think if this weren't a super hero movie it would've been better, meaning if it was just a drama about a man who suddenly gains strength and fights for his country  This movie had too much story and dealt with too serious of a topic for it to be lighthearted and fun the way comic book movies should be.  Also Red Skull (Weaving) wasn't that great of a villain either.  I hope there are better ones in the comic books.  I enjoyed the budding relationship between Rogers (Evans) and Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) but as usual it was rushed and not developed enough for me to feel for them.  I loved the beginning of the film and there's definitely a lot of humor but the action sequences were too cartoony for my taste.  I was still entertained but left wanting more and feeling like some things were missing. 
The Avengers movie is due out next summer which I'm definitely looking forward to and hope Captain America is more impressive next time around. 

So I'd say see it but there's no rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment