Find out which movies are worth your time with a mix of reviews of new box office releases, new DVD releases, not-so-new releases and classic cinema too. Basically as I watch them, I review them. So let's relax, grab some popcorn and have fun at the movies!

October 10, 2011

The Rite


Directed By: Mikael Hafstrom
Written By: Michael Petroni
Starring: Anthony Hopkins, Collin O'Donoghue, Ciaran Hinds & Alice Braga
Rated: PG-13


MY RATING: C+

It's Anthony Hopkins in a creepy role, what else needs to be said?

Based on actual events.  In The Rite, Michael Kovak (Collin O'Donoghue) is an American seminary student who has lost all faith.  He is about to give up on being a priest when his mentor sends him to Italy to take a course in exorcisms.  Once in Italy, Father Xavier (Ciaran Hinds) who is teaching the course, learns of Michael's lack of faith and sends him to work with exorcist Father Lucas Trevant (Anthony Hopkins).  Through working with Father Lucas, Michael witnesses things that shake him a little but nothing he can't explain.  As his journey continues however he can no longer deny the presence of the devil and resurrecting his faith in God is the only thing that can pull him through.

I enjoyed this film but it wasn't that memorable for me.  It's difficult to critique the storyline since it's based on actual events. However I thought there were holes missing in Michael Kovak's backstory or maybe a clear enough picture wasn't painted.  There were many flashback scenes that in the end had no impact on the story.  Other than that I enjoyed the rest of the script. The exorcism scenes were quite disturbing as they should be.  Now I know they were trying to give Anthony Hopkins a Hannibal Lector type of role but this one didn't quite hit the mark.  Don't get me wrong, Mr. Hopkins did a great job but it wasn't as memorable as his Hannibal Lector character.  I did however love the arch that Michael (O'Donoghue) went through.  This story I believe is relatable to many people.  I even shed a tear towards the end of the movie.  Job well done on the makeup effects, special effects and use of locations.  Visually perfect.  As a drama this would be great, but did it scare me? Not so much.  However this is still a good exorcism movie to put on the list.


So I'd say see it but there's no rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment