Find out which movies are worth your time with a mix of reviews of new box office releases, new DVD releases, not-so-new releases and classic cinema too. Basically as I watch them, I review them. So let's relax, grab some popcorn and have fun at the movies!

March 12, 2011

Little Fockers

Directed By: Paul Weitz
Written By: John Hamburg and Larry Stuckey
Starring: Ben Stiller, Teri Polo, Robert De Niro, Blythe Danner, Dustin Hoffman, Barbra Streisand, Owen Wilson and Jessica Alba
Rated: PG-13


MY RATING: C+

"Little Fockers" - a little absurd.

This third sequel picks up with Greg (Ben Stiller) and Pam (Teri Polo) Focker married with 5 year old twins.  Gaylord Focker (Stiller) is still a nurse but with new home improvements and private school looming he decides to take a side job with a pharmaceutical company.  Finally inside Jack Byrnes' (Robert De Niro) sacred "circle of trust," this new secret may prove to be problematic.  Also a sexy pharmaceutical rep named Andi Garcia (Jessica Alba) steps in to add friction to Greg and Pam's marriage.  All of this goes on while the Fockers are planning a huge birthday celebration for the twins which includes Greg's parents, Roz (Barbra Streisand) and Bernie (Dustin Hoffman) and a visit from Uncle Kevin (Owen Wilson), Pam's ex lover.  With everything that's going on it's up to Greg (Stiller) to keep his family together and show Jack (De Niro) that he can be the man of the house.

After seeing "Little Fockers" if I have to pick a favorite of the three it would be Meet the Fockers.  This one was good and entertaining and funny but I would put it last when up against the other two.  Unfortunately they changed Directors (Jay Roach did the first two) and lost some of the magic. 
I wasn't crazy about Jessica Alba's performance.  She had some funny moments but overall I feel like they could've cast someone else in that role.  If her job was to be annoying however then she succeeded with that.  I was also disappointed because I wanted to see more of Dustin Hoffman and Barbra Streisand.  I loved them and their chemistry in Meet the Fockers and this time they didn't show up until near the end of the film. 
But Little Fockers certainly delivered some jaw dropping moments.  Ben Stiller definitely kicked it up a notch with the physical comedy this go round.  There were a few scenes that left me saying "did they really just do that?!"  Normally I'm not a huge fan of physical comedy, especially "potty humor" but this one did a pretty good job.  I guess where the script was lacking they decided to go for the physical gags instead.  With the addition of the "little Fockers" I can't say they did anything for the movie one way or another.  Of course the kids were cute but nothing spectacular in the acting department.  Owen Wilson played his character to a tee though.  I think I enjoyed his character best in this film versus the other two.
But these films are really about Greg Focker (Ben Stiller) and Jack Byrnes (Robert De Niro) and this one delivered plenty of great moments between the two of them. 
Overall I wasn't thrilled with the story.  This one lost some cohesiveness.  But just as a slapstick comedy it definitely delivered the laughs.

I say see it but there's no rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment