Find out which movies are worth your time with a mix of reviews of new box office releases, new DVD releases, not-so-new releases and classic cinema too. Basically as I watch them, I review them. So let's relax, grab some popcorn and have fun at the movies!

August 28, 2011

Devil


Directed By: John Erick Dowdle
Written By: Brian Nelson (screenplay) and M. Night Shyamalan (story)

Starring: Chris Messina, Logan Marshall-Green, Jenny O'Hara, Bokeem Woodbine and Jacob Vargas
Rated: PG-13

MY RATING: C

Pretty good as a thriller but definitely not a horror.

Devil begins with Detective Bowden (Chris Messina) arriving on the scene to investigate the death of someone who allegedly jumped
from a high rise building.  Inside the building five strangers get onto an elevator which breaks down in between floors.  Tempers rise leading to strange events and even murders.  A security guard (Jacon Vargas) watching it all unfold on camera tells the story his mother told him about the Devil whom he believes is inside the elevator disguised as a passenger.  Now it is up to Detective Bowden to figure out who the murderer is before they all lose their lives.  The question then becomes, is the Devil real and if so how do you defeat him?

This one is pretty tricky because I liked it but had some minor issues.  Number one I was disappointed that it wasn't scary at all.  I wouldn't classify it as a horror movie.  The Devil is mentioned and in question but it's more like a murder mystery/thriller.  I'll even say it was suspenseful.  I jumped a couple of times, but it was missing some things.  I just felt like the story could've been developed more.  There was one flashback sequence involving one of the five elevator passengers but I would've preferred to have learned about more of them.  The story just felt rushed.  I mean it was only an hour and twenty minutes long!  They definitely could've added more.  But I liked the premise and it actually will make you take a look at your own life. 
At the end it was just okay.  Pretty entertaining but also a little disappointing. 

I'd say this is worth checking out but there's definitely no rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment