Find out which movies are worth your time with a mix of reviews of new box office releases, new DVD releases, not-so-new releases and classic cinema too. Basically as I watch them, I review them. So let's relax, grab some popcorn and have fun at the movies!

August 12, 2011

Rise of the Planet of the Apes


Directed By: Rupert Wyatt
Written By: Pierre Boulle and Rick Jaffa
Starring: James Franco, Andy Serkis,
John Lithgow and Freida Pinto
Rated: PG-13


MY RATING: A

This is the much needed resurrection of the Planet of the Apes films.   After the 2001 version with Mark Walhberg and Helena Bonham Carter we so needed this one.

In this modern day version of Planet of the Apes James Franco plays Will Rodman, a scientist working at a company called Gen Sys (pronounced genesis).  Gen Sys is a genetic therapy pharmaceutical company doing tests to try come up with new drugs to help with some of humanities illnesses.  One of the experiments involves ALZ 112 and a chimpanzee nicknamed "Bright Eyes."  The ALZ 112 increases the ape's intelligence and could be a cure to Alzheimer's, among other brain disorders.  But just as the scientists are ready to introduce the new drug "Bright Eyes" breaks loose at Gen Sys and seems to go crazy, killing employees and destroying things, until she is taken down herself.  Later Will Rodman (Franco) learns that "Bright Eyes" had a baby that no one knew about and her mistaken rage was really motherly instinct.  The ALZ 112 project is shut down and the orphaned chimp now needs a home.  Will (Franco) steps in as a temporary solution and takes the baby chimp home to meet his father Charles (John Lithgow) who is suffering from Alzheimer's.  Will and Charles get attached to the baby ape and name him Caesar (Andy Serkis) and so the journey begins and leads to the Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Man oh man this movie was great!  First off let me say that Andy Serkis is BRILLIANT at what he does!  He has to be THE BEST motion capture performer there is!  Also hats off to the special effects team that pulled this off!  I mean wow!  I am very critical when it comes to special effects.  I feel like special effects should seamlessly fit into a film, adding to it, not distracting the audience from the story and Rise of the Planet of the Apes accomplishes this and then some.
I was not looking forward to this film actually because I'm getting tired of the remakes but thank god this movie revived the classic tale.  The story was great!  I love how the writers intertwined the traditional story with our modern day struggles with issues like Alzheimer's which effects so many people today.  They also brought heart to the apes of the film.  I cried three times during this movie and held back tears in a lot of other scenes.  But don't mistake this for a sad tale.  It has humor, lots of action, drama and of course great special effects.  Anyone would enjoy this movie.  I saw a man sitting a few seats down from me, on the edge of his seat through the entire film and that summed up how I felt while watching this movie.  There was not a dull moment.  Also it was great to see John Lithgow and he was wonderful in his role as the dad suffering with Alzheimer's.  This movie was near perfect to me.  They better win some awards for the special effects. 
Now my only issue was with the script towards the end.  I don't want to give anything away but I felt a piece was missing with Will (Franco) when he had to deal with some issues with Caesar (Serkis), who by that point was like a son to him.  I just felt like they could've added an extra couple of minutes to show him "dealing" with things and it would've made the film that much better for me.  But aside from that this was a great movie! 

So of course I say this is definitely worth seeing!  Skip Cowboys and Aliens (sorry) and go see this!

No comments:

Post a Comment