Find out which movies are worth your time with a mix of reviews of new box office releases, new DVD releases, not-so-new releases and classic cinema too. Basically as I watch them, I review them. So let's relax, grab some popcorn and have fun at the movies!

August 2, 2011

How Do You Know


Directed By: James L. Brooks
Written By: James L. Brooks
Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson and Jack Nicholson

Rated: R

MY RATING: C-

How do you know when you're in love?  Not by watching this film.

In this newest James L. Brooks film Reese Witherspoon plays Lisa, a softball player on the USA olympic womens softball team.  After helping her team win a gold metal she is cut from the team because of her age.  She also starts dating Matty (Owen Wilson), a cocky, womanizing star baseball player.  Meanwhile businessman George (Paul Rudd) is dealing with legal problems at his father's (Jack Nicholson) company and a recent breakup.  One of Lisa's teammates had given George (Rudd) Lisa's number so he decides to give her a call and she finds herself in a love triangle.  Now she must figure out "How Do You Know."

I was so looking forward to this film because it's written and directed by James L. Brooks who also did As Good As It Gets, one of my all time favorite films.  But it was no where near on that level, even with Jack Nicholson.  The dialogue was great!  Brooks has a way with the english language but as a romantic comedy the romance fell very short for me.  I don't know what it was but something was missing for me.  There was no chemistry between Reese Witherspoon and her two leading men (Paul Rudd and Owen Wilson).  The guys were great!  Paul Rudd's character reminded me of his role in Clueless, I just loved him.  He was adorable and his usual funny self.  Owen Wilson was no surprise either and stole the show delivering some of the funniest moments.  But I wasn't a fan of the Lisa character Reese Witherspoon played.  She was emotionless throughout the entire film.  By the end I didn't think she needed to be with anyone and actually could use some therapy.  George (Rudd) was too good for her and Matty (Wilson) was too much of a jerk.  So what did I enjoy about this film?  Again, the dialogue, Paul Rudd and Owen Wilson.  But as far as romantic comedies go, this would be towards the bottom of my list.  I can't say that I would watch it again but it held my attention enough the first time around.

So I'd say eh this is one you can wait for t.v. to see if nothing else is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment